In Region 2, some 14,824 studes benefit from SPES

Published Date Written by Reginald B. Estioco
View Comments


According to DOLE 2 Regional Director, Atty. Sixto T. Rodriguez, Jr., the 40% share of the DOLEfor the salary of the said students amounted to ₱28.76 million.  

“The program wasimplemented region-wide.  Most of the students worked during the summer break to help defray their school expenses for the school opening.  It also benefited some out-of-school youth who had the intention of going back to school,” Atty. Rodriguez said.

 “This is one of the best poverty reduction intervention of the government.  We are helping students pay some school needs and at the same time we are training them for the world of work,” Atty. Rodriguez added. 

This year’s accomplishment of DOLE 2 in SPES is over its target of 14,492 students.  Also, it is43% higher than the accomplishment in 2012 of 10,337 students.

 Among the five provinces in the region, Cagayan had the most number of beneficiaries having a total number of 5,258 students.  The DOLE 2 counterpart for their salary amounted to P10.17 million.   

 Isabela province had a total number of 5,112beneficiaries with P8.41 million as counterpart of the DOLE for their salaries.  

On the other hand, in Quirino province, beneficiaries totaled to 2,311 students with P3.53 million counterpart of the DOLE for their wages. 

In Nueva Vizcaya, there were 1,162 beneficiaries with P2.52 million DOLE counterpart for their wages.

In the province of Batanes, there were 481 students benefited from the program with DOLE counterpart for their salaries of P4.11 million.

Meanwhile, Christian Taguiam of Baggao, Cagayan and a fourth year Criminologystudents thanked the DOLE 2 for having an opportunity to work under the SPES during the summer break in 2013.

“Mysalary under the SPES was of great help in augmenting my school expenses.  Instead of being idle during the summer break, my vacation was very productive because of my employment.  Also, SPES is a very good training ground because I had the opportunity to experience the actual world of work,” Taguiam said.

The SPES,as mandated under R.A. 9547 and R.A. 7323,aims to help poor but deserving students aged 15-25 pursue their education by encouraging their employment specially during summer.  Out-of-school youths who have the intention of going back to school are also eligible beneficiaries. 

Participating Local Government Units and private establishments in SPES select the students based on the required qualifications such as age, grades, income of parents, and other pertinent documents.The participating agencieswill pay 60% of the salariesof the student-beneficiaries which is based on the prevailing minimum wage in the area while the remaining 40% will be paid by the DOLE.

This year, the DOLE allocated P31.27 million for SPES which will be used for its 40% counterpart on the salary of the student-beneficiaries. (End/RBE)