DOH registers low firecracker related incidents this yuletide season

Print
Published Date Written by Oliver T. Baccay

TUGUEGARAO CITY, Jan. 2, (PIA) - - As compared to last year’s reports, the Department of Health (DOH) – Center for health Development (CHD) region 2 has registered relatively lower number of firecracker related incidents this Yuletide season.

In the report released by the said agency, there were only 16 firecracker related injury and one stray bullet cases gathered from the different Disease Reporting Units (DRUs) in the region from December 21, 2013- January 1, 2014. 

Dr. Rio L. Magpantay, regional director, said the there was a decrease of 78 percent in cases compared last year’s 76 cases, however, there was one death from Baybayog, Alcala, Cagayan due to ‘red thunderstorm with tail fountain’.

Among the provinces, Isabela registered the highest number of victims with seven, followed by Cagayan-five, Nueva Vizcaya-four and Quirino- one. There was no report from the island province of Batanes.

Among the types of firecracker used, Piccolo has most number of victims with eight while others are due to Labentador, Kwitis, fountain and others.

“We recommend to law enforcers the strict implementation of the Anti Firecracker law and we also do our best to strengthen our advocacy and monitoring to minimize firecracker incidents in the region by the end of the year,” Magpantay said.

Though the new year was already over, the health officials will continuously monitor incidents of firecracker related incidents until January 5, 2014 before declaring the final result of 2014 year end firecracker related incidents. (OTB-PIA2/Cagayan)

Copyright 2012 @ Information Sharing System